This course is led by John Kelly, MD, MPH, LM Intensivist, FACLM, founding ACLM president and ABLM certified LM Intensivist. It reviews the epidemiology, risk factors, and current medical approach to preventing and treating all forms of diabetes.
Throughout the course, expert faculty in the fields of diabetes and lifestyle medicine address the scientific literature that supports the treatment, remission, and prevention of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance.
Most importantly, the application of lifestyle medicine methods, guidelines, tools, and monitoring standards are explained, enabling healthcare practitioners to successfully apply lifestyle medicine techniques to treat, prevent, and achieve remission of type 2 diabetes and reversal of insulin resistance for their patients.
• Discuss the role of nutrition and particularly whole food plant-based nutrition in the prevention, treatment, and remission of type 2 diabetes and reversal of insulin resistance
• Discuss the role of physical activity, sleep and other essential factors in the prevention, treatment and remission of type 2 diabetes and reversal of insulin resistance
• Review the key metabolic disturbances and pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, type 1 diabetes, and latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA)
• Review the current literature and considerations around medication de-prescribing for type 2 diabetes remission and reversal of insulin resistance
• Review the definitions and success rates of remission of type 2 diabetes and reversal of insulin resistance