Want to take quizzes and track your credits?
A 32-year-old man with a diagnosis of dilated cardiomyopathy sought care for angina and dyspnea with exertion. His chest pain and dyspnea were chronic and had recently increased in frequency. His cardiomyopathy followed a diagnosis of myocarditis after repeated putative chest colds and chest pain at age 14 years, at which time the ejection fraction was reported to be 30%. The results of a graded exercise stress test at 22 years were unremarkable.
On examination, he was afebrile. His heart rate was 68 beats per minute, his blood pressure was 114/77 mm Hg, and his examination was notable for an absence of jugular venous distension, peripheral edema, and murmurs or extra heart sounds. His electrocardiogram, shown in Figure 1, was notable for right bundle branch block and left anterior fascicular block, unchanged from his electrocardiogram at age 14 years. Transthoracic echocardiography revealed an ejection fraction of 40%. An exercise nuclear stress test revealed a fixed, severe apical defect, a partially reversible severe anterior wall defect, moderate global hypokinesis, and severe hypokinesis of the distal anterior wall and apex. His ejection fraction was estimated to be 32%. Given these findings, left-sided heart catheterization was performed.
Please finish quiz first before checking answer.
Read the answer below and download your certificate.
Read the discussion below and retake the quiz.
An anomalous left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery
C. Coronary artery reimplantation
The coronary angiogram is shown in Figure 2 and the Video. This case highlights the importance of vigilance and thoughtful diagnosis, because this patient’s initial clinical picture did not necessarily fit with the assigned diagnosis. Unfortunately, many patients with an anomalous left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery (ALCAPA) are compartmentalized into diagnoses that are more often found, such as myocarditis and dilated cardiomyopathy; however, the morbidity and mortality of this condition is such that there is little margin for error.1
An ALCAPA is an exceedingly rare and potentially fatal congenital cardiac anomaly with an incidence of 1 in 300 000 live births, making up 0.24% to 0.46% of all congenital cardiac anomalies.2,3 Of infants born with an ALCAPA who do not undergo surgical correction, 90% die within the first year of life and the remaining 10% die of complications such as myocardial ischemia and arrhythmias.4 The mean life expectancy of patients who survive past infancy is 35 years.5 From 1908 to 2008, only 151 adults have been reported to have had an ALCAPA.6
Sign in to take quiz and track your certificates
JN Learning™ is the home for CME and MOC from the JAMA Network. Search by specialty or US state and earn AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credit™ from articles, audio, Clinical Challenges and more. Learn more about CME/MOC
Corresponding Author: M. Bilal Ahmed, MD, MBA, Warren Alpert School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brown University, 793 Eddy St, Providence, RI 02903 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Published Online: May 13, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2020.0295
Conflict of Interest Disclosures: None reported.
Additional Information: We thank the patient for granting permission to publish this information.
You currently have no searches saved.